Instagram, Tumblr and Pinterest are very popular social networks. All 3 are image based, and while they are used by thousands of people every day, they can be ineffective if you’re not targeting the right demographic. Unlike Twitter and Facebook, demographics for these 3 sites are a bit more specific.
Instagram is probably the most diverse social network out of the three. Some 20% of female cell phone users aged 18 and up use the app, compared to 16% of males. 43% of 18-29-year-old cell phone users report using Instagram. This makes it the second-most popular social network for American teens, tied with Facebook and just behind Twitter.
While Instagram’s main users are definitely teens and young adults, 18% of cell phone users ages 30-49 said they also use Instagram.
- Among Instagram users, 24% say they use it several times a day.
- There are 150 million active users.
- There are 1.2 billion likes daily and an average of 55 million photos posted per day.
Tumblr may not be the most popular social network, but the users that are on Tumblr are very dedicated to the site. According to data released by GlobalWebIndex, 34 million global Internet users say they contribute to or use Tumblr on a monthly basis. 46% of these users are between the ages of 16 and 24. The average visit to Tumblr is 14 minutes, which is longer than Facebook and Twitter. Tumblr is a great site for brands that are targeting teens and young adults.
- The average Tumblr user views around 67 pages per month.
- 66% of visitors are under 35, and 39% are under 25.
- Tumblr grew 74% in 2013, compared to Twitter and LinkedIn’s 40% growth.
- There are roughly 300 million monthly unique visitors.
Pinterest was first launched in March of 2010, making it 4 years old this month. While it was pretty unheard of at first, it grew in popularity from 2011-2012. As of July 2013, Pinterest had 46.9 million monthly unique visitors. Pinterest is a great platform for brands to use—if their customers are on it. While men use Pinterest as well, women dominate it. Roughly 1/3 of Internet-using women in the United States are on Pinterest, and 2/3 of Pinterest users are over the age of 35.
- 75% of daily traffic to Pinterest comes through mobile apps.
- Pinterest has 2.5 billion monthly page views.
- 80% of total Pinterest pins are repins.
- Pinterest has grown 30.06% in web traffic referrals from September 2013 to November 2013.
Whether you are a fashion brand or a local store, image based social media are quickly gaining in popularity, making it more important than ever to stay on top of the social media game.